|Juice vs fruit - which one is healthier?|
So, we are all going crazy about juice these days - everyone is buying new juicers and trying to be healthier. Off course, it is still January, so a lot of us still stick to our New Year's Resolutions to eat healthier, to exercise, to go to sleep earlier and so on. Well, if one of your resolutions was to start drinking more juice, why not to try and replace that wonderful idea with an even better idea? Eat the fruit instead of juicing it! It will save you time spent on juicing and washing the juicer, money as you will be wasting less fruit, but, most importantly, you will be getting a lot more benefit by eating fruit instead of drinking the concoction. What do you think?
There is, actually, quite a lot to think about, because, although juice seems to be super healthy, it has its flaws and replacing juicing with eating raw fruit can give you a lot more benefits.
So, why is juice not quite as amazing as it seems to be? What's my health advice?
|Juicing for health? Really?|
- Eat fruit instead of drinking juice to avoid gut related problems such as bloating, depression, headaches, insomnia, anxiety, lack of mental energy and even premature ageing. First of all, juice has no fibre. Fibre helps avoid constipation by promoting good bacteria in your gut. Why do we care about constipation? Well, if you don't go to the toilet for a big one regularly, the chances are that you have imbalance between good and bad bacteria in your gut. Bad bacteria produce toxins that leak into your bloodstream. What happens next? All of these are linked to bloating, depression, headaches, insomnia, less mental energy, anxiety, fatigue, predisposition to skin conditions and even premature ageing!!! So, sorting out your gut is worth the effort, right? Some more reasons for keeping gut in good digestive order are as follows: helps you minimise chances of getting bowel cancer, inflammatory bowel disease and others. Now, let's go back to the point, eating a fruit instead of drinking juice will give you so much needed fibre to keep your gut in good condition - something worth considering!
- Avoid sugar crash by eating a fruit instead of drinking juice. Juice has lots of sugar. All sugar you take in with the juice goes right into your blood stream giving you a short peak of energy, then a massive slump. You can easily avoid this by eating a fruit. Fruit and vegetables go through the full digestive cycle and they are not instantly absorbed.
- Swap juice for fruit if you are trying to lose weight. Fibre in fruit helps us feel fuller. If you are trying to lose weight, it is crucial to feel full. Fruit takes longer to digest, so it stays longer in your stomach making you feel full whereas juice bypasses the complex digestive process instantly without activating the satiety mechanism through the process of chewing and alike. Also, the above mentioned sugar crash makes you crave for sugar as soon as sugar wears off, thus, making you consume more calories than if you ate something else other than juice, thus, juice is not helpful when trying to lose weight. By eating a fruit you will take in less sugar as you will eat less fruit than the juice would contain and avoid the sugar crash which results in hunger for more sugary products.
- Fibre in fruit aids absorption of nutrients, especially minerals such as calcium.
- Juicing wastes antioxidants that are in fruit. Antioxidants keep arteries healthy and aid mental health. Even if you use a blender and make a smoothie instead of the juice, it is still not as good as eating the fruit itself. Why? Fruit loses a lot of nutrients in the process of juicing or blending. As soon as the fruit is cut, it starts to lose it's antioxidant power due to exposure to light and air.
- Juicers are a breeding ground for bacteria. Most of them are very difficult to wash and, therefore, the healthy juice turns into a contaminated concoction, if badly handled. If juice is stored, then bacteria multiplies even faster and the juice can become a cause for vomiting, diarrhoea and even worse problems.
- Another trivial thing - eating fruit instead of juicing will save you lots of cash. You won't need to spend money on a juicer and there will be no wastage of fruit that you have after juicing. Something really worth considering!
What about you? Do you juice or eat fruit?